You fit in Interdisciplinary Studies
Interdisciplinary Studies (IDS) at NC State attracts out of the box thinkers interested in myriad academic fields. With a robust selection of concentrations, you can find a major course of study that fits your academic interests. IDS students craft their higher education degree to follow their passions and prepare for their future careers.
Over half of our majors graduate with honors from either a scholars program or a dual degree program.
Faculty from all corners of the university are a part of the Interdisciplinary Studies program. Our faculty are invested in providing students the knowledge and support for your success at NC State and beyond.
Interdisciplinary Studies Council
The Interdisciplinary Studies Council serves in an advisory role for our IDS major programs and concentrations. The Council, composed of directors and coordinators within the unit works collectively to provide guidance. Currently, the IDS Council consists of:
- Blair LM Kelley, Assistant Dean of Interdisciplinary Studies
- Stephen C. Ferguson, Coordinator of Africana Studies (Philosophy)
- Rodney Waschka, Director of Arts Studies
- Marsha Gordon, Film Studies (English)
- Jonathan C. Kramer, Music (Music)
- Mia Self, Theater
- Victoria Neal Ralston, Visual Arts
- Seth Murray, Director of International Studies (Anthropology)
- Matthew Booker, Director of Science, Technology, and Society (History)
- Sharon Setzer, Coordinator of Self-Design (English)
- Karey A. Harwood, Director of the Interdisciplinary Studies Major, Coordinator for Women’s and Gender Studies (Religious Studies)
- Carol Ann Lewald, Director of Undergraduate Advising (Anthropology)